[sclug] Freenetname - ADSL - Smoothwall

Antony Bartlett akb at akb.me.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:52 UTC 2003

Was the other posting your reply to my "What to do with a
Linux newbie like me", post?

If so, I think it only went to me - I don't think you sent it to
the whole list.

I did however take your advice, and bought a modem with
an Ethernet interface.  (a Zoom X3 from PC World on
Sunday)  and am happy to report that I am now able to use
the internet from Linux.  Thanks!

Any issues with exotic USB/ADSL protocols have now
been sidelined by my new piece of hardware, so that all
that Linux has to worry about is recognising a bog
standard NIC and talking ordinary TCP/IP.  Something
that even a newbie like me can cope with.

(one of these days I might even get around to looking
at cross-platform mail clients/mail stores and stop
posting from Outlook Express)

    Best regards,

        Antony.