[sclug] Mpack failing with execv error

Jonathan H N Chin jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:52 UTC 2003

Tim Sutton <suttont at onetel.net.uk> wrote:
> Recently I upgraded some things on my machine and now mpack fails with:

> -bash-2.05b$ mpack -s "Test" testfile.tar.bz2  some at address.com
> execv: No such file or directory
                         ^^^^^^^^^

> I ran an strace on the above command and it shows that it is a temporary file
> which is not there not the original file:
[...]
> open("/root/tmp/mpackow0Jru", O_RDONLY) = 4
        ^^^^^^^^^

I expect you installed some PAM module that give users their own
private /tmp equivalent inside their home directories. On debian
the package would be libpam-tmpdir. Possibly the equivalent package
on your distribution is not configured properly.

I expect root doesn't have a directory "tmp" in its home.

The simple solution is either to create the directory or to stop
using the PAM module.

-jonathan

--
Jonathan H N Chin, 1 dan | deputy computer | Newton Institute, Cambridge, UK
<jc254 at newton.cam.ac.uk> | systems mangler | tel/fax: +44 1223 767091/330508

                "respondeo etsi mutabor" --Rosenstock-Huessy