[sclug] Microphones....!

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:53 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Chris Pugh wrote:

> I have plugged a microphone into my Linux System.  What do I need to do
> to get it to work?!

You can grab audio data using some utilities or directly from /dev/dsp or
/dev/audio.  A mixer tool will allow you to select which source is used
for 'recording' from (CD, microphone, line-in, etc.).

I've only done this in the 'old days' when you'd do something like 'aumix
+rec mic' and then 'dd if=/dev/audio of=mysound.au'.  But I'm sure there's
a nice KDE (or whatever your choice) application with does it for you now.

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 6630
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK