[sclug] Hosting recommendation request

Antony Bartlett akb at akb.me.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:53 UTC 2003

bytemark-hosting, eh?  Just imagine - my own (virtual) Linux box
on-line <drool/>

Connected 24x7 running any kind of web-app imaginable (no fixed
feature list like you get with any other hosting package, install what
you will), at a fraction of the cost of co-location, and the fraction
of the hassle of hosting stuff from your home PC (I don't know
about you guys, but I like to reboot my PC fairly frequently,
turn it off when I'm not using it and have silence, and generally
screw around with it in a multitude of other ways).
More enviromentally friendly too.

And now you're telling me you think it could serve more than
500 users browsing at a time - hitting the database for most
page-impressions and all.  I wouldn't have thought of using it for
something quite that heavy, personally, but as I know nothing, I'll
have to take your word for it, for now.  Wow.

To anyone taken aback by this sudden burst of breathless
enthusiam on my part, I should probably explain that I have heard
of bytemark-hosting before.  I haven't got around to trying them
yet due to my total lack of knowledge about Linux,
but it's always been on my agenda - what's been driving me to
finally get around to learning something about Linux (and hence my
motive for posting here).

So for me, UML, especially hosted UML has been The Killer-App,
what's driving me to venture outside the world of Windows, which,
for all it's flaws, works adequetely for me, and is where I'm cosy.
And maybe a killer not just for me?  I mean, after all, there's no way
in hell Windows can do anything like this, and even if it could, I suspect
the Microsoft tax would be a fairly steep addition to any ?15/whatever
hosting charge, and one I suspect people would be dis-inclinded to
pay, even those willing to shell out ?90 for an upgrade to the latest
version of Windows.

Anyway, I thought I'd share these thoughts with you.  I hope I'm not
imposing.

Oh, and I wont be disappointed if I'm wrong about UML being The
Killer-App for me, by the way, because I'll have learnt plenty about
Linux along the way.

    Best wishes,

        Antony