[sclug] Hosting recommendation request

pieter claassen pieter at countersnipe.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:53 UTC 2003

I think you pretty much understand the issues at hand. As far as
performance and load considerations are concerned, there are some minor
things to keep in mind.

Firstly, you share the hardware so other peoples actions affect your
performance. As long as the hosting company is reasonable about the
ratio of users on each machine, you should be ok. Bytemark seems to do
regular hardware upgrades.

Secondly, things like cron jobs (happening accross many UMLs at the same
time) is not too great and Bytemark as a randomiser script that they ask
you to run to make sure that cron jobs do run more randomly.

We have never really had any problems with performance (we have the
cheapest deal from them) and the transparent hardware failover support
makes up for any operational issues (such as periodic downtimes to move
onto higher performance hardware) that we need to consider. It would be
interesting to hear the opinion of gaming host or anybody who actually
measures their "hardware" performance.

I have not thought about what would happen to your service if another
UML machine on the same host gets DOSed? I find on my desktop that
something going wrong in the UML can hurt the host's performance. But
then I guess the UML processes can be re-niced in the host?

Pieter