[sclug] Linux / SCO babble

H/J Wyper wypers at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

There's some postings on slashdot (http://yro.slashdot.org) that deconstruct
the SCO letter pretty comprehensively, including the interesting theory that
SCO's claim of a million lines of code copied is based on them comparing
**blank lines** and finding a match.

I've just received a flyer inviting me to the October 8/9 Linux Expo in
London.  It says on the back "Previous exhibitors include... ...SCO,...".  I
wonder if they're coming along this year?  If so, they'd better bring riot
gear.

There's also a response to McBride's letter circulating that appears to be
from Linus Torvalds (not confirmed it's him but the style is familiar):

----------------------

Open letter to Darl McBride -- please grow up.

Dear Darl,

Thank you so much for your letter.

We are happy that you agree that customers need to know that Open Source is
legal and stable, and we heartily agree with that sentence of your letter.
The others don't seem to make as much sense, but we find the dialogue
refreshing.

However, we have to sadly decline taking business model advice from a
company that seems to have squandered all its money (that it made off a
Linux IPO, I might add, since there's a nice bit of irony there), and now
seems to play the US legal system as a lottery. We in the Open Source group
continue to believe in technology as a way of driving customer interest and
demand.

Also, we find your references to a negotiating table somewhat confusing,
since there doesn't seem to be anything to negotiate about. SCO has yet to
show any infringing IP in the Open Source domain, but we wait with bated
breath for when you will actually care to inform us about what you are
blathering about.

All of our source code is out in the open, and we welcome you point to any
particular piece you might disagree with.

Until then, please accept our gratitude for your submission,

Yours truly,

Linus Torvalds

And to think that the first Linux I installed was Caldera... it makes me
retch.

James.

Message: 1