[sclug] gnupg / mutt / default key.

Leon Ward leon.ward at added-dimension.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

Hello,

I am caught up in a bundle of gnupg headache!

My problems are based around moving my keys to another box, I have exported
my private and public keys in armoured ASCII and moved them to the new box.

  gpg --import ./privatekey.txt
  gpg --import ./pubkey.txt

  nard at rancid:~$ gpg --list-keys
  /home/nard/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
  -----------------------------
  pub  1024D/37B9DD04 2003-09-08 XX XXXX <xxx at xxxxxx.xx.xx>
  sub  1024g/5C855D3C 2003-09-08

I have then changed the trust level of this to key to the max that is
available,

  nard at rancid:~$ gpg --edit-key "xx xxxx"
  Command> trust
  pub  1024D/37B9DD04  created: 2003-09-08 expires: never      trust: q/q
  sub  1024g/5C855D3C  created: 2003-09-08 expires: never
  (1). xx xxxx <xxxx at xxxxxx.xx.xx>

  Please decide how far you trust this user to correctly
  verify other users' keys (by looking at passports,
  checking fingerprints from different sources...)?

  1 = Don't know
  2 = I do NOT trust
  3 = I trust marginally
  4 = I trust fully
  s = please show me more information
  m = back to the main menu

  Your decision? 4

  pub  1024D/37B9DD04  created: 2003-09-08 expires: never      trust: f/q
  sub  1024g/5C855D3C  created: 2003-09-08 expires: never
  (1). xx xxxx <xxxx at xxxxxx.xx.xx>

Now, on my old desktop, I had the option to trust this key unconditionally
(5), Can anyone tell me why this is not available?

If I try to use this key pair....

  nard at rancid:~$ gpg -e ./myfile.txt
  You did not specify a user ID. (you may use "-r")

  Enter the user ID: xx xxxx
  Could not find a valid trust path to the key.  Let's see whether we
  can assign some missing owner trust values.

  No path leading to one of our keys found.

  1024g/5C855D3C 2003-09-08 "xx xxxx <xxxx at xxxxxxxx.xx.xx>"
             Fingerprint: 8C3F A6A7 93AC C5B9 3903  AFE7 839E A3AE 5C85 5D3C

  It is NOT certain that the key belongs to its owner.
  If you *really* know what you are doing, you may answer
  the next question with yes

  Use this key anyway?

Any Ideas why / how?

Also, in my ~/.gnupg/options i have the following...

  nard at rancid:~$ cat .gnupg/options |grep default-key
  default-key 5C855D3C

When attempting to sign something in mutt, the following error is thrown at
me...

  gpg: no default secret key: secret key not available
  gpg: signing failed: secret key not available
  Press any key to continue...

Anyone have a bright, or even less dimly lit idea?
I must be missing something massive here.

-Leon

In my ~/.gnupg/options I have set the following option

This E-mail and its attachments have been scanned for viruses before delivery.
We recommend that all attachments are also checked by recipients before being viewed.
For more information contact postmaster at added-dimension.co.uk.