[sclug] gnupg / mutt / default key.

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 02:12:44PM +0100, Leon Ward wrote:
> My problems are based around moving my keys to another box, I have exported
> my private and public keys in armoured ASCII and moved them to the new box.

>   gpg --import ./privatekey.txt
>   gpg --import ./pubkey.txt

Older gpg's needed --allow-secret-key-import

>   nard at rancid:~$ gpg --list-keys
>   /home/nard/.gnupg/pubring.gpg
>   -----------------------------
>   pub  1024D/37B9DD04 2003-09-08 XX XXXX <xxx at xxxxxx.xx.xx>

If you're going to obscure the name and email Mr. Nard, you might want
to obscure the keyid too or at least not have the key on public servers
:-p

> I have then changed the trust level of this to key to the max that is
> available,

When you did this did it also say:
Secret key is available.
(see below)

> Now, on my old desktop, I had the option to trust this key unconditionally
> (5), Can anyone tell me why this is not available?

I think it's because you don't have the secret key there properly but
that's a guess.

>   It is NOT certain that the key belongs to its owner.
>   If you *really* know what you are doing, you may answer
>   the next question with yes
>   Use this key anyway?
> Any Ideas why / how?

Not sure about this one.

> Also, in my ~/.gnupg/options i have the following...

>   nard at rancid:~$ cat .gnupg/options |grep default-key
>   default-key 5C855D3C

> When attempting to sign something in mutt, the following error is thrown at
> me...

>   gpg: no default secret key: secret key not available
>   gpg: signing failed: secret key not available
>   Press any key to continue...

You really don't have this secret key most probably.

Try gpg --list-secret-keys

Simon.

--
UK based domain, email and web hosting ***/        "Cerulean is a gentle /*
http://www.blackcatnetworks.co.uk/     **/          breeze..." - Pusher /**