[sclug] isp

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Oct 25 09:05:54 UTC 2003

The expo is a commercial thing I think, not really appropriate for end
users (I work in IT and got a free invite to it that fell out of a
magazine - a sure sign that it's going to be lots of people trying to
sell stuff rather than anything useful).

For basic web browsing, there should be no need to copy any details
across from XP.  I haven't used SuSE so can't be sure of the exact
details but basically to get your cable modem set up you'll need to :

1. connect the modem to the PC using an ethernet cable (NOT the USB
one).  NTL should have supplied both kinds.  If you don't already know,
the ethernet cable is the one that looks similar to a standard
telephone jack.  I'm assuming you've only got one ethernet socket on
your PC.

2. boot up

3. somewhere you'll have a program to configure your networking.  this
may be linuxconf, may be something that SuSE have written themselves
(in which case there should be an icon for it on the desktop), or (my
own preference) webmin.  To access webmin, if it is running on your
machine, open up a web browser (e.g. Konqueror or Galeon) and type
https://localhost:10000 in the address bar.

4. whatever program you use, it should present you with a list of
network interfaces on your system.  It's likely that you'll only have
the one, called eth0 (if you have others, they'll be called eth1, eth2
etc, and you'll need to employ a bit of trial and error to work out
which one you have set up).

5.  change the options for eth0 so that DHCP is enabled.

6.  open up the web browser [again] and see if you can access any
internet sites - you should be able to.

7.  Find out whatever firewall application came with SuSE and follow
whatever instructions you can find to configure it, just to be safe.

If you want to use your ntlworld.com email address under Linux you'll
need to configure whatever mail program you use.  Somewhere buried in
the menus there'll be an option called something like "accounts" where
you can configure outgoing and incoming mail.

For incoming mail you'll need to set the
email address - your ntlworld one e.g. james at ntlworld.com (not my real
address)
server type - as POP3
server address - pop.ntlworld.com
user name - your email address WITHOUT the @ntlworld.com bit e.g. james
password - the password you set when registering

For outgoing mail you merely need to set the server address as
smtp.ntlworld.com

I hope this is enough info to get you up and running; if you run into
problems drop me a line.  I've copied in the rest of the sclug list in
case (a) I've got something wrong, or (b) they have useful suggestions
of websites or books for getting started with Linux - but hey, if
you're still reading this at your library then finding a decent book
shouldn't be a problem :)

Good luck,
James.

 --- Peter Titus <k8ofkind at hotmail.com> wrote: > Recieved a cable modem
yesterday (monday) from ntl. Had problems