[sclug] Web and document admin questions on Linux.

Smiles, Mark Mark msmiles at agere.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:55 UTC 2003

Hello fellow sclug'ers,

I recently offered (well  ... was volunteered to be honest) in my spare
time to help out a local School web site.

The School in question is under very tight budget constraints so this
project is being done on a shoestring budget.

My choice for a web server would be typically a cheap Linux system
running RedHat 9 and apache 2.

I can build the system, ipchains and set up the Apache server no
problems. What I've not had any much experience with is from the user's
perspective of content and document management.  Typically they would
like this as easy as possible, be it word documents or whatever and
click and go and the information is visible to the world. I can provide
Samba for c connections internally for content admins to browse the
system but my knowledge is sadly lacking in free tools that are easy for
users to use to build their own pages and manage documents from a pc
environment for running on apache.

All wisdom and advice appreciated.

Regards,

Mark Smiles