[sclug] Web and document admin questions on Linux.

Chris Aitken Chris at ion-dreams.com
Sat Oct 25 09:05:55 UTC 2003

> > I can build the system, ipchains and set up the Apache server no
> > problems. What I've not had any much experience with is from the
> > user's perspective of content and document management.
> Typically they
> > would like this as easy as possible, be it word documents
> or whatever
> > and click and go and the information is visible to the world. I can
> > provide Samba for c connections internally for content admins to
> > browse the system but my knowledge is sadly lacking in free
> tools that
> > are easy for users to use to build their own pages and manage
> > documents from a pc environment for running on apache.

What you could utilise is webDAV (distributed authoring & versioning). There
is a mod_dav available for apache, plus it is easy to set up.

What does it do?

Once set up ( I suppose to point to /public_html/ in /~user, they can mount
their space as a web folder in linux (using cadaver or some such), or
windows explorer (win 2k, xp), or Mac OS x (maybe even classic). It works as
drag and drop for files etc, and once the files are in place they are
visible on the WWW.

Maybe a cron script would run automatically on the directory to chmod the
files to world view-able, owner writeable.

With webDAV, the WWW suddenly becomes writeable too. Apples .mac service
(where they offer mac owners 100 Mb online storage) is webDAV. MS Office 2k
onwards aso support the standard. I have had issues with konquerer tho!

Chris

believed to be clean.