[sclug] Motherboard woes

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Apr 3 08:54:14 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Ian Michell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> My motherboard went bang :( and just when I *was* going to connect my
> new SATA drive too (forgot to buy a standard -> SATA adapter).
>
> So what I would like to know, because quite frankly I can't last without
> my pc for more than a day. Where can I get a decent motherboard (AMD
> Athlon XP -> preferred aopen/asus nForce 2) and the required SATA
> adapter as building gentoo is a bitch and I want to have it up and
> running on my new HD before the end of the weekend, (took me two days
> last time, with all the downloading and compiling!).
>
> I am popping into Reading tomorrow is there a decent place there,
> Bracknell perhaps???

Dabs have shut down their Bracknell counter.

SMC have moved from Slough to Aldershot.

So all you're left with in Reading is PC World, Computer Care South (Oxford
Rd) <http://www.ccare.co.uk/> and G Squared (Britten Rd, off Elgar Rd)
<http://www.gsquared.net/>. Or the fair at Bracknell Sports Centre next
weekend (<http://www.computermarket.com/cgi-bin/vendor?ven_id=19&vnu_id=5>
and <http://www.computermarket.com/cgi-bin/vendor?ven_id=32&vnu_id=5> would
be my preferred vendors as they've both been visiting forever, and every
show - but I generally wouldn't buy complex hardware like a mobo at a fair!)

As for motherboards, I can't really help much as I find Intel make the best
platforms for my requirements (AMD's Opteron and Athlon64 offerings are
looking interesting though). I'd stick with Asus or Gigabyte boards.

> Please get back to me asap if you can I would much appreciate any help,
> oh and I will buy the person that helps me beers at the LUG :-D (They
> say bribes get you everwhere!).
>
> Ian

HTH, but suspecting it won't, much,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?