[sclug] Motherboards and SATA

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sun Apr 4 19:49:44 UTC 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Ian Michell wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Well I got myself a motherboard, I just went into PCWorld and bought an
> Epox NForce2 ultra400 (punish me for going to PCWorld later!). I also
> ended up buying a new power supply (ultra quiet one), so I have finally
> bloody got a plug for my sata. But....
>
> Here it comes, my god damned stupid adaptec proprietry crappy SATA card
> does not bloody work in linux! :P (see I can do it hehe!!).

According to <http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html> it can be
made to work. But SATA is still a bit hairy under Linux, particularly if you
buy hardware without checking compatibility first...

> They give out drivers for redhat 9, but no bloody source, the stupid
> bastards, don't the realize some of us don't use redhat and use things
> like gentoo?????? It bloody annoys me.

See the above web page, found by
<http://www.google.com/search?q=adaptec+SATA+linux+drivers>

> Oh the SATA card is seen by 2.6.3, but the point is I keep getting this
> message:
>
> hde: lost interupt

Additionally, on modern machines, you'll probably need to have a recent
version of ACPI compiled into your kernel and working as it's used to
configure interrupts and other system resources.

> It appears that the Adaptec AAR1210SA is based on a Silicon Image 3112.
> Frustrating............ Has anyone had any luck with this sorta thing? I
> know its not my card causing grief (windows (.......) installed fine
> (after having my the bootable cd supplied by adaptec lockup because it
> didn't like my ide controllers!!)).
>
> I am tempted to write a new driver myself, but I rather save myself the
> time and buy a new one! Uh so has anyone fought with this type of card
> before???

Nope. I check compatibility *before* I buy hardware. :-P

As a result, I haven't got any SATA hardware.

> Ian

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?