[sclug] Spring cleaning

David Hart lug at klutz.org.uk
Wed Apr 14 16:31:21 UTC 2004

On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 03:29:53PM +0100, Ian Michell wrote:

> However, as much as I want to build a gentoo system on my server it just
> takes too damned long to build it from stage 1! It took me two days to
> build my current system (not counting extra packages after getting a
> working desktop ;) ) . Can you imagine the compile time on a celeron
> 466......... Well actually it would take me about a day and a half on
> that, then all I need to do is image it....  I actually like gentoo so
> much I even started building a graphical front end to portage :-D

I started using gentoo on a celeron 400MHz and I don't see what the
problem is - you don't _have_ to sit there and watch it compile :)

I even run gentoo on my firewall (66MHz 486).  It took me less than 6
hours from a stage1.  I built the system on a more powerful box
and transferred the tarball.  Updates are done the same way.

And if I need to, I can get a gentoo system up and running in about 10
minutes from a prepared x86 tarball with kernel and all the modules.

1.  Partition and create filesystems
2.  Untar tarball and adjust fstab
3.  Chroot and install boot loader
4.  Reboot

Another 20 minutes and I can have X, KDE and other bells and whistles
installed from packages.

30 minutes from bare metal to working desktop system.  Easy peasy :)

--
David Hart
david at klutz.org.uk