[sclug] Spring cleaning

Ian Michell ian.michell at hanzi.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 14:30:20 UTC 2004

David Hart wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 03:00:59PM +0100, Ian Michell wrote:
>

>>David Hart wrote:
>>

>>>On Wed, Apr 14, 2004 at 02:40:45PM +0100, Ian Michell wrote:
>>>
>>>[snipped requirements that could be met by any distro]

>>>If you feel the need to ask which distro to use then my advice is simply
>>>to stick with what you've got.
>>>

>>True, very true, but the point of the question is because I want to dump
>>whitebox, because it is a mission to update, debian for example would be
>>a good candidate as it takes no effort to run a server, but there may be
>>something better that someone else can suggest.
>>

>The one that's best is the best one of the ones you know.
>
>I run gentoo on my _personal_ boxes.  I swear by it, some swear at it.
>
>And so it goes, each to their own.

Indeed, thanks to you Gentoo (I now run it on my main PC 2004.0!!) I
decided that I will most probably never ever use Redhat again! I fell in
Love with gentoo after using it for 3 hours (excluding installation
time), its true heaven, the package repository is much bigger than
debians (and thats a hard thing to do!), I have even told all my friends
who were converted from windows to fedora (gotta start somewhere), to
dump it and use gentoo because it rocks this planet.

However, as much as I want to build a gentoo system on my server it just
takes too damned long to build it from stage 1! It took me two days to
build my current system (not counting extra packages after getting a
working desktop ;) ) . Can you imagine the compile time on a celeron
466......... Well actually it would take me about a day and a half on
that, then all I need to do is image it....  I actually like gentoo so
much I even started building a graphical front end to portage :-D

Rgds

Ian