[sclug] GNU on Quirky Architecture

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Mon Apr 26 15:29:51 UTC 2004

On Monday 26 April 2004 16:19, erik.chakravarty at accenture.com wrote:
> Having looked some options, and been quoted a ridiculous ?300 for a 1985
> MicroVAX II (1MB of RAM in a tank basically...)
>
> Methinks an Indy would be a good option. Looks sexy, prices around ?150 for
> an R5000 (150MHz, 96MB RAM 4GB HDD), and from what I read it's pretty well
> built.

There's a guy at work here with an Indy; unfortunately it's pretty much
useless because the graphics card isn't supported. SGI have been really
rather unforthcoming with the hardware specs. Make sure you get something
supported!

Check this out:

http://www.debian.org/ports/mips/

...particularly the links list at the bottom (the 'Install XFree86 on the
SGI/Indy - Howto' is definitely required reading...).

--
+- David Given --McQ-+
+- www.cowlark.com --+