[sclug] GNU on Quirky Architecture

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Mon Apr 26 15:41:28 UTC 2004

* David Given <dg at cowlark.com> [2004-04-26 16:16:50]:
> On Monday 26 April 2004 16:19, erik.chakravarty at accenture.com wrote:
> > Having looked some options, and been quoted a ridiculous ?300 for a 1985
> > MicroVAX II (1MB of RAM in a tank basically...)
> >
> > Methinks an Indy would be a good option. Looks sexy, prices around ?150 for
> > an R5000 (150MHz, 96MB RAM 4GB HDD), and from what I read it's pretty well
> > built.
>
> There's a guy at work here with an Indy; unfortunately it's pretty much
> useless because the graphics card isn't supported. SGI have been really
> rather unforthcoming with the hardware specs. Make sure you get something
> supported!

I guess it's the XZ graphics then? 8 & 24-bit XL (Newport's) are
supported...

Also, some processors are better supported than others. My Indy never
quite worked right with an R4600SC under Linux...

Matt
--
"The theory of Space and Time is a cultural artefact made possible by
the invention of graph paper."