[sclug] Question about HTML format e-mails

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Dec 3 11:20:20 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Neil Owens wrote:

> I'm curious about the utter contempt (I think this is correct) of HTML
> format e-mail in the Linux community.
>
> I'm generalising here, I know, but boy, do the Linux world not like it.

Other posters have answered the "why", but I think you may be misattributing
the loathing of HTML email to the wrong group.

I think you'll find that it's generally loathed by people who've been using
the Internet since before 1997 or so and people who care about security,
privacy and standards. Thus, Linux users who express an opinion on the
matter will tend to be members of some or all of these groups, along with
large numbers of BSD and UNIX people and probably even a few Windows users.

> Neil

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?