[sclug] Question about HTML format e-mails

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Fri Dec 3 13:00:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Alex Butcher wrote:

> Historically, links couldn't be guaranteed to be 7-bit clean (Compuserve
> was notable in this for a long time) - hence things like uuencode, MIME
> Base64 and so on.

I remember someone did work out what it was, exactly - something like
6.92-bit.  :)

> I'm not sure that Latin character sets in Unicode allow for composition
> of characters (unlike with Arabic and others), which is what would be
> required to do this cleanly in plain-text email.

I often send emails with Japanese in - using UTF-8 encoding, the Roman
characters appear as plain ASCII.

   - Bob

--
  Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
  Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK