[sclug] HTML vs plain old text

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Sat Dec 4 17:52:58 UTC 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 08:31:40PM +0000, Tom Chance wrote:
> On Friday 03 Dec 2004 20:12, Neil Haughton wrote:
> > As an observer it strikes me that there is a discernible element of
> > inverted snobbery over this whole plain-text/HTML thing, which does the
> > Linux fraternity little credit.
> That much I agree with. Well, it's not that it doesn't do the
> GNU/Linux world credit, it just puts people off when they face geeks
> with very different priorities ;-)

There's a lot of difference sending HTML mails when you're actually
using it between friends and sending HTML mails when you're not using it
to a list of mostly geeky people.

For instance Neil's post to this list which I read as text looked fine
as just text/plain so sending it as HTML *and* text was, well, pointless ;)

> Sometimes I think every geek should be forced to work in a IT training
> centre... it certainly stopped my snobbery in its tracks!

We're not all averse to telling people calmly why they might want to
change or holding off on jumping down their throats because they for
instance reply to a digest without changing the subject or trimming
stuff properly (not that that would happen here ;)).

Simon.

--
It should be a case of "Just plug in a new kernel, and suddenly your
existing filesystem just allows you to do more! 20% more for the same