[sclug] isolinux weirdnesses

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Tue Dec 14 23:44:21 UTC 2004

I'm currently constructing a live-CD-based Linux system for use as a media
box. This is going quite well, apart from one minor problem. My CDs won't boot
on my Shuttle box any more.

I'm using isolinux as the boot loader (are there any other Linux CD boot
loaders?). The iso is being created with:

	mkisofs \
		-J -R \
		-o image.iso \
		-b isolinux/isolinux-debug.bin \
		-c isolinux/boot.cat \
		-no-emul-boot \
		-boot-load-size 4 \
		-boot-info-table \
		target

target is the directory containing my target filesystem. Inside it is an
isolinux directory, containing:

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1040413 Dec 12 00:05 bzImage
-rw-r--r--  1 root root   10500 Dec 12 00:05 isolinux-debug.bin
-rw-r--r--  1 root root      87 Dec 12 00:05 isolinux.cfg
-rw-r--r--  1 root root      19 Dec 12 00:05 mediabox.msg

isolinux.cfg is:

	default dis
	prompt 1
	label dis
		kernel bzimage
		append root=/dev/hdc init=/bin/init

So you see, this isn't exactly complicated.

What's happening is that the Shuttle doesn't seem to be recognising that
there's a bootable disk in the drive, and is going on with the rest of the
boot sequence (trying to boot off the network, despite the fact I explicitly
told it not to --- I'm not impressed with the Shuttle's BIOS). I'm getting
*no* messages from isolinux.

The really weird thing is that (a) it used to work, and some old CDs with an
earlier version of dis (my media box software) still boot, and (b) the new CDs
boot fine on my desktop machine.

I have tried the following things:

(a) using a fresh CD-RW, in case my old one had died and the Shuttle's DVD
drive wasn't reading it correctly. Didn't work.

(b) tried booting any other random disk I could find on the Shuttle. All
worked. (I use Geexbox regularly on it.)

(c) ditto, on the desktop. Works.

(d) swearing. Didn't work. Next step is to find a chicken.

Can anybody suggest anything before I try the extreme measures (firstly, using
floppy emulation, which I hate with extreme prejudice, and secondly, replacing
the Shuttle's DVD drive)? There's obviously some weird interaction going on
between the Shuttle's hardware, the BIOS, isolinux, and something about the
filesystem, possibly because it's just passed 40MB, although I can't see how
that could matter. isolinux is pretty freaky at the best of times, and this is
getting really, really annoying.

--
[insert interesting .sig here]