[sclug] Content Management Systems (again)

pieter claassen pieter at countersnipe.com
Mon Feb 2 22:11:44 UTC 2004

Zope is a bit of a bastard to get going because unfortunately there are
so many ways of doing things in Zope and most product developers seem to
try them all at one time or the other. The fact that any product can be
made up of code in many different subsystems (python on disk, dtml in
zodb, python in zodb, templates in zodb or on disk......) makes it
difficult if not impossible to follow other developer's working.

I agree with you that the content management system in Zope is difficult
to get to grips with (I have failed). However, keep in mind that Zope's
ZMI is already a type of content management system so it is relatively
trivial to implement your own management interface in DTML.

I have looked hard and far and have stuck to Zope for the following
reasons:
1. Version control
2. Upgradeability
3. Relatively secure framework (authorisation and authentication already
sorted out)
4. Not many vulnerabilities compared to other stuff.

If you find something else, please let me know.

Since you are looking how about:
1. Web mail interface.
2. online address book and calendar app.
3. Online discussion board.

I have heard that microsoft and IBM have this space covered;-(

Pieter