[sclug] All this Debian chat...

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Thu Feb 5 01:59:43 UTC 2004

* Keith Edmunds <keith at midnighthax.com> [2004-02-05 00:18:59]:
> On 04 Feb 2004 23:47:28 +0000
> Scott Rixon <scott at green-flag.com> wrote:
>
> > Do any of the IMAP servers allow multiple connections?
>
> Dovecot does, for sure. I thought most did, though.

Courier does, although you can configure it with how many connections
are allowed per-ip and in total, so you could make it restrictive like
that, although I'm not sure if it works in a LIFO or FIFO fashion WRT
connection rejection/dropping. Unless you share an IP or use some of the
IMAP clients that interpret the standards unusually for simultaneous
connections, I tend to keep it to a reasonable number like 5 per-ip.

I would definetly consider a Maildir-based IMAP server if you intend for
multiple programs to access the same mbox file as you could introduce
some interesting behaviour/performance.

Matt
--
"Phased plasma rifle in a forty-watt range?"
"Hey, just what you see, pal."