[sclug] All this Debian chat...

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Feb 5 10:41:46 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 9:58 pm, Chris Aitken wrote:
[...]
> I have recently upgraded from UW to Dovecot (recommended by Keith E).
>
> Its much much faster (but that's prob the difference between mbox &
> maildir) - esp for my Spam file from spamassassin - now up to 2500 spam
> emails (second filling too)...

Dovecot's cool.

You'll want to use ReiserFS or XFS if you're using Maildir; otherwise it'll
slow down horribly with very big folders, and use vast amounts of space.
(Because every message will use a multiple of your block size, even the very
small ones.)

Incidentally, regarding only allowing IMAP access via SSL...

IMO there's not really any point encrypting the data stream. After all, the
messages have all arrived on your machine via SMTP in plain text: anyone
snooping your machine will have already seen them. Secure authentication,
sure; CRAM-MD5 or some other mechanism. But if you're on a slow machine ---
my mail server is a P133 --- then not using SSL will give you a noticable
speed bonus.

--
+- David Given --McQ-+ "They laughed at Newton. They laughed at Einstein.
+- www.cowlark.com --+