[sclug] All this Debian chat...

Chris Aitken chris at ion-dreams.com
Thu Feb 5 10:54:31 UTC 2004

> On Wednesday 04 February 2004 9:58 pm, Chris Aitken wrote:
> [...]
> > I have recently upgraded from UW to Dovecot (recommended by Keith E).
> >
> > Its much much faster (but that's prob the difference between mbox &
> > maildir) - esp for my Spam file from spamassassin - now up to 2500 spam
> > emails (second filling too)...
>
> Dovecot's cool.
>
> You'll want to use ReiserFS or XFS if you're using Maildir;
> otherwise it'll
> slow down horribly with very big folders, and use vast amounts of space.
> (Because every message will use a multiple of your block size,
> even the very
> small ones.)

Interesting point - how about Ext3?

The latest server I set up had Resier on all the partitions (not boot or
swap), apart from /home, where I use Ext3.

This was because I couldn't find adequate info on the ReiserFS quota patch,
to give me enough confidence to use it. And having gone to the trouble of
recompiling samba with quotas, I wasn't going to waste the time.

Does anyone have any experience of ResierFS with quotas, or indeed patching
the kernel to allow quotas?

Cheers

Chris

believed to be clean.