[sclug] All this Debian chat...

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Thu Feb 5 11:29:48 UTC 2004

* Chris Aitken <chris at ion-dreams.com> [2004-02-05 10:43:06]:

> > You'll want to use ReiserFS or XFS if you're using Maildir;
> > otherwise it'll
> > slow down horribly with very big folders, and use vast amounts of space.
> > (Because every message will use a multiple of your block size,
> > even the very
> > small ones.)
>
> Interesting point - how about Ext3?

This is not so much of a case now, they have gained improved directory
hashing IIRC.

As for block sizes, if you set a dedicated mail partition you can set
the filesystem up with a suitable settings with a bit of foresight.
You'll find most messages tend to fall under 4KB in size, or at least
mine do. People more receptive to HTML mail may find differently.

Not that I'm bashing ReiserFS, although I've not used quotas with it yet
and I've so far not touched XFS.

My Maildirs are on FFS anyway ;-)

Matt
--
"If there are no spots on a sugar cube then I've just put a dice in my
tea."