[sclug] Finally I am going to get broadband!!!

Ian Michell ian.michell at hanzi.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:34:10 UTC 2004

>From my experience using NTL, I found it a little more stable than ADSL,
fixed IP is not a problem as I am not binding any websites to my machine
(I may setup a VPN with a friend), in terms of SMTP, I have never used
NTL'S servers, or for that matter I have not used any UK ISP mail
servers lol. My old boss (mate of mine) has a web design company back in
Africa and has a 4 servers in telehouse, I get free web hosting for
fixing the servers when they break, I use the smtp servers on those
boxes :)

But I am considering ADSL, my main problem is the fact that I have to
pay phone rental, then pay for ADSL as well as pay for a the phone bill,
which can get huge (if I just went with bt) my phone is handled by NTL
at the moment, so I pay BT for my rental and pay NTL ?29 for dialup and
unlimited local, national calls.