[sclug] Finally I am going to get broadband!!!

Ian Michell ian.michell at hanzi.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:48:34 UTC 2004

Well I have just been looking at pricing and the like, here is roughly
what 2MB adsl is going to cost me:

BT phone rental is about ?25 a month
2MB ADSL will cost me about ?55 quid a month
And unlimited calls national and local is another ?29
put that all together and you get: ?109 a month

NTL 1MB cable for ?35 a month, free installation, I still have my old
modem (which is only 6 months old mind!)
Unlimited local and national calls is an extra ?24 or so
Which in grand total is something like ?59 a month, and because I can't
terminate my BT line for another 6 months so over all it will cost me:
?84.

A lot of ISP's and and the like, allow me to switch from BT and get
cheaper rates etc. But then again there are also ISP's that allow me to
switch from NTL and still use its backbone.

In terms of value for money, I think that NTL is a lot better, when I
had Broadband from them before, they were always on the ball when it
came to support, they would either phone me or email me about the
service going down, (only went down 1 time). But sure the disadvantage
is that I cannot get static IP. But that is something I am not too
worried about as I have a huge pipe to host a website on :) and if the
company want me to VPN to them, then they will pay for the static
address with no problem :)

So to me its looking like NTL is the winner.

Ian