[sclug] Finally I am going to get broadband!!!

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 18:41:38 UTC 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Ian Michell wrote:

> Well, something worth moving for, just had a look at a new house in
> Wokingham, very nice, very new too! The good thing is that I can get 1MB
> cable and up to 2MB ADSL. If all goes according to plan I will be moving
> there in March!!! :)
>
> Now the question is: Should I move everything to NTL or shall I use
> ADSL,

Note that there's only one cable company you can use, whilst there are many
ADSL ISPs and some of them are even offering local-loop unbundled services,
meaning you might even be able to switch away from BT if you wish. These
factors are important if you're concerned about a) not being overcharged for
service in the future due to lack of competition and b) being able to easily
find an alternative should your ISP begin to suck.

FWIW, I'm paying 28.65GBP pcm for my ADSL connection, including 8 static IP
addresses, SMTP mail delivery as well as web and DNS hosting. It's a 512Kbps
connection with 50:1 contention (which, IME, isn't yet an issue with the
relatively low levels of takeup of ADSL in the UK). 1Mbps is an extra 12GBP
per month.

There are all sorts of alternative carrier schemes for voice calls over BT
these days, so you don't even need to pay BT more than your monthly line
rental.

> Ian

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?