[sclug] Finally I am going to get broadband!!!

Bob Franklin r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk
Sat Feb 7 19:03:35 UTC 2004

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Ian Michell wrote:

> Now the question is: Should I move everything to NTL or shall I use
> ADSL...

I have the standard NTL server (i.e. 600kbit/s down, 128kbit/s up) and
it's been fine for the >2 years I've had it.  I don't care about static IP
(esp. as the upstream channel is so slow - fine for normal use but serving
is a dog - ADSL is better, at twice the speed) - I connect into my home
machine from outside via a dynamic DNS record.

The cost is the usual 24.99 per month and that includes the modem rental.

I shifted from a combination of BT line + ADSL and ITV Digital (!) to
shift to NTL.  At the time, the cost was lower (esp. when you combine the
TV + phone service) and [the other big win] was the cable modem NTL
offerred has both USB and Ethernet - this meant I could just plug it
straight into my Linux box (doing NAT, firewall, etc. and routing onto an
internal LAN with other clients, wired and wireless), run a DHCP client
and not have to message about with drivers - it just appears to be
Ethernet to the Linux box.

This situation has changed now that you can choose from a variety of ADSL
modems with built-in NAT, firewall, Ethernet switches and even wireless
APs.

Also, the variety of ADSL providers mean you have a lot of choice over how
much you pay and what services/speed/IPs you get.

Both the services seem pretty reliable and stable nowadays - when I used
ADSL, BT's RADIUS servers were forever going up and down and I've heard
lots of horror stories from friends who kept having their ADSL lines
screwed up by BT at the Exchange (particularly when they were with other
providers - suspiciously).  The cable just seems to be up and working all
the time (the only problem I've had is with the viruses last September
for about 4-5 days - I think this was IP sweeps caused by the virus).

Actually - I don't think I'd be disappointed with either - I think my next
decision (if I were to move) would be based on whether I wanted NTL's
cable TV offering or Sky Digital (I don't use the phone much) - NTL's
set-top box is rubbish!

  - Bob

--
 Bob Franklin <r.c.franklin at reading.ac.uk>          +44 (0)118 378 7147
 Systems and Communications, IT Services, The University of Reading, UK