[sclug] Broadband

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Tue Jan 20 13:50:14 UTC 2004

* Keith Edmunds <keith at midnighthax.com> [2004-01-20 12:26:01]:
> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:55:58 +0000
> Tony Sumner <whittycat at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> > There is one problem (not serious and possibly OT),
> > viz AOL reject mail from me because I send mail directly. They want me
> > to route mail via a trusted relay, eg via ntl, but how do I do that? I
> > think it's a simple tweak to sendmail but I don't know what.
>
> AOL refuse mail from what they consider to be dial-up access lines. I
> had this problem with a customer recently, so I set up Postfix to relay
> any AOL-destined mail via the ISP's SMTP server. AOL can be a complete
> pain to work with...

If they're blocking the IPs used by dial-up and non-static assigned
ADSL/Broadband, etc. you can kind've see their point. People with those
accounts *shouldn't* be running mail servers or sending mail direct
IMHO.

Once I've done a bit of fiddling to my mailserver, I'll be putting into
use a similar RBL which scoops up the remaining crap that the other
checks don't stop.

Matt
--
"Accept anything. Then explain it your way."