[sclug] Building a kernel

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 19:42:05 UTC 2004

All,

Building a working kernel seems to have become
a lot more difficult since I last did it 3-4 years ago.

Building a 2.6 kernel without touching the .config
file resulted in various link errors caused by missing
components (looks like something to do with scsi).

Upgrading from 2.4.20 to 2.4.26 required plenty
of fiddling using xconfig to create various non-functioning
kernels (I'm not sure whether the link errors were
caused by problems with 'make dep' or because there
is external references between different subsystems
that should not be there).

Does anybody have any recommendations?  There
does not seem to be a switch on everything and
build option (there are a few warnings about probing
non-existent hardware during boot).

What I really need is a program that probes my hardware
and generates a .config file specifically for it.  Pointers
anybody?

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                           tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                            mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk