[sclug] Building a kernel

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Fri Jul 9 22:47:18 UTC 2004

On Fri, 9 Jul 2004, Derek M Jones wrote:

> All,
>
> Building a working kernel seems to have become
> a lot more difficult since I last did it 3-4 years ago.

Indeed. Especially with all the patches that need to be applied to the
vanilla Linus/Marcelo tree in order to end up with something like a
functional kernel.

My preferred approach (with RH-like distros, at least) is to install the
kernel...src.rpm, edit the .spec file and .config, then rebuild to a set of
RPMs. That way, your package database stays sane, and you get all the
patches that RH's kernel experts deem necessary for a working system.

That said, with "kitchen sink" modular kernels, there should be little need
for most people to roll their own kernels, these days.

> derek

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?