[sclug] Routed IP/CIDR etc

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Thu Jul 15 17:07:28 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 15, 2004 at 05:43:46PM +0100, Chris Aitken wrote:
> My router, when operated in half bridge mode, will present the router
> IP (xx.xx.xx.94) on both the ATM & the ethernet interfaces

> My firewall box is xx.xx.xx.93, and SNATs for my LAN, and does DNAT
> (hopefully soon) for the rest of the Ips (xx.xx.xx.89 - xx.xx.xx.92).

> Simon has a single static IP, and his setup is slightly different (maybe you
> can remind me!).

This Simon has a single static IP too :)

> How would you go about setting up a firewall/router box to do the same, but
> with a single IP?

Mine does PPP half bridging over a cross over cable to my linux box
which does DHCP to the router[0].  The router gives my linux box my public
IP and I then run iptables on the linux box with the public IP.  It
also sorts out NAT for me.

It would work fine if the router could reconnect reliably when in PPP
half bridge mode but it doesn't seem to.  Still my ADSL doesn't
disappear often.

Is this what you mean or did I miss the point entirely?

Simon.

[0] I'd love to configure it staticly but it doesn't seem to want to do
    PPP half bridging if I do.

--
Just another wannabie | "Her name is Bambi?" - Scully  |  Just another fool