[sclug] escape character ignored in FC2 telnet

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Tue Jul 20 13:58:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Simon Heywood wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 02:03:32PM +0100, Simon Heywood wrote:
> > I've encountered a problem with telnet (running in a Gnome Terminal) in
> > Fedora Core 2. I get the usual "Escape character is '^]'." message but
> > pressing control and ']' doesn't escape from the session, it's echoed to
> > the terminal instead.
>
> Hmm, I've just answered my own question (something Tom will be familiar
> with).
>
> If I press return after '^]' I *do* get dropped at the 'telnet> '
> prompt. I still don't know why this is necessary; merely
> hitting '^]' is sufficient with other clients / terminals.

Try building the src.rpm for telnet from an earlier version of FC/RH and see
if that exhibits the same behaviour. If it does, it's something in the
gnome-terminal stack (probably libzvt, at a guess). If it doesn't compare
the patches that have been added to the FC2 src.rpm with those in the
earlier version(s).

> S.

HTH,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?