[sclug] Not upgrading kernel to 2.6

Derek M Jones derek at knosof.co.uk
Sun Jul 25 13:12:39 UTC 2004

Matt,

>But I notice you've gone back to Red Hat 9, is that using the vendor
>kernel with its extra patches? Or a vanilla kernel? How do you deal with
>the NPTL threading issues?

Vendor + patches.

NPTL treading issues?  Never heard of them.

Unlike many on this list I am not network centric.  I am
a developer and try to keep my networking simple.
Having said that I have just switched to gftp and started
looking at its source to add some functionality (I want to
have a way of specifying files to exclude from a directory
download by their suffix).

Having just attempted a clean install of a non-developer
RedHat system on a new machine I was surprised to see
that some packages required X development rpms and
packages that are bundled with gnome; us real Linux
users use a proper window manager, www.fvwm.org,
not Microsoft clones).

derek

--
Derek M Jones                                           tel: +44 (0) 1252 520 667
Knowledge Software Ltd                            mailto:derek at knosof.co.uk