[sclug] Not upgrading kernel to 2.6

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Sun Jul 25 13:23:51 UTC 2004

Derek M Jones wrote:
[...]
> Having just attempted a clean install of a non-developer
> RedHat system on a new machine I was surprised to see
> that some packages required X development rpms and
> packages that are bundled with gnome; us real Linux
> users use a proper window manager, www.fvwm.org,
> not Microsoft clones).

I run Debian on my non-graphical server, and every so often when I want
to install a particular package I find it trying to pull in the X
stuff... seeing as it's definitely restricted on disk space, I can't
really afford that.

(Anyone know a source of good, cheap 2.5" disk drives? Or Firewire
drives? That machine, a P166 with 48MB and 2GB of disk space, is
definitely feeling pushed these days...)

BTW, if you're interested in *real* window managers, check out ion:
http://modeemi.cs.tut.fi/~tuomov/ion/. It's a tiled window manager. I
find it incredibly useful.)

--
[insert interesting .sig here]