[sclug] Not upgrading kernel to 2.6

Matt matt at bodgit-n-scarper.com
Sun Jul 25 13:58:50 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-25 at 15:23, David Given wrote:

> I run Debian on my non-graphical server, and every so often when I want
> to install a particular package I find it trying to pull in the X
> stuff... seeing as it's definitely restricted on disk space, I can't
> really afford that.

I have this issue at times too, especially with running Java. But
actually, all it wants are the X11 libraries to satisfy link
dependencies, it doesn't require a server to be installed. This is
enough that you can run the application on your non-graphical server and
it can export the display either natively over X or tunnelled within
SSH. The /usr/X11R6 tree on one these servers is only 7MB big.

Assuming Debian has it's XFree86/Xorg packages split logically like
this, and you can spare 7MB on your disk, you can probably get away with
installing just the libraries and keep things happy.

Matt