FW: [sclug] TCP/IP I think

Alex Butcher lug at assursys.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 23:13:16 UTC 2004

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, Simon Huggins wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 09:52:41PM +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004, tim wrote:
> > > Pinging the other end of the P-t-P connection gives me responses
> > > varying from 139ms to 159ms.
> > > Pinging the 193 address gives me Destination Host Unreachable.
> > OK, so it's almost certainly just DNS that's the problem. What distro
> > are you using?
>
> Not really.  Whilst DNS isn't working, it looks like pings to the
> outside world are blocked in any case.

So? Plenty of opportunity for firewalls...

> 172.18.30.whatever it was is part of the private non-routable IP space
> 172.16/12 too so there may be some magical gateway/proxy gubbins
> somewhere.

...especially seeing as the clients are being handed out RFC1918 addresses
(indicating that NAT or proxying is probably being done by the ISP - perhaps
to comply with local Egyptian censorship laws).

The more I think about this, Tim, the more I think you'll be best off
getting dialup working under Windows first and then using the same settings
for Linux (or looking for some local docs that detail how to get Linux
working with your ISP).

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher      Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK                      Need reliable and secure network systems?