[sclug] Crash Course

Sandeep Varma darker.trooper at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:01:54 UTC 2004

Thanks everybody, you're all making this slightly rocky road a lot
smoother for a very happy and appreciative 14 year old. All the
directions you have all pointed me in have been very useful, and
sooner or later, I'll be more than a novice :-D.

Now to put something back into the community

-------------------------------

>Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 20:00:41 +0100 (BST)
>From: Major Stuart<stuartmajor at yahoo.co.uk>
>Subject: Re: [sclug] Crash Course
>To: Alan Cocks <aec at candt.demon.co.uk>, sclug at sclug.org.uk
>
>Hi All,
>
>I am also a new to Linux and have installed Suse 9.0
>from a cover CD.  I am considering upgrade to 9.1 pro
>from a magazine cover DVD, do you recommend it?
>
>Also I tried to install open office to a multiuser
>single computer, and couldn't access if from both
>log-ins.  Any idea on how I install it from terminal?
>
>Thanks, Stuart

--------------------------------------

I run Suse 9.1 Pro (Got it from Novell for free :-D,), and can safely
say it's very easy to learn with. Seeing as it's only a 1 point
upgrade, you're probably safe with 9.0, and it probably has the same
functionality.

As for your Open Office problem, I'm no pro, but seeing as it's
already installed on your system, you can probably access it by
hunting around folders in the root directory ( / ). If it's only
accessible from one user, there's a possibility that it may be
installed in that user's home directory, and if so, you need to
install it from Root/Admin. Once there, it still may not appear in the
menu (Which happened to me with Limewire) If so, and if you're running
KDE, then you can probably solve this fairly easily. Just do a search
on your hard drive for where the Open Office executable is, then make
an entry in the menu for it using the K Menu Editor.

Of course there is the possibility that none of this applies to you
and is just the paranoid rambling of a 14 year old, but we can take
that risk ;-).

Also, if anyone wants disc 1 from the Novell Technical Resource Kit
(Which has SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 8, Novell Nterprises Linux
Services 1.0, Novell Groupwise 6.5.1, Ximian Red Carpet Enterprise
Server 2.02, Console One and other Linux Resources) which was given
out free by Novell a while ago, then we can arrange for you to get it
from me.

I'm not an expert (yet), but where it's applicable, I'm willing to help.

--------

Sandeep Varma, Slough UK