[sclug] Linux Firewalls and ADSL

Chris Aitken Chris at ion-dreams.com
Tue Jun 8 18:46:28 UTC 2004

> Chris,
>
> Thank you for your reply. I will probably go with IPCop at
> the moment as I need a quick solution. I guess I will build a
> firewall based on IPChains and a distro such as debian later
> when I have time to figure it out and read the o'reilly books
> I have on the subject.
>
> I actually have an ethernet DSL bridge (DLink DSL300G+) but
> unfortunately it only supports dynamic addressing and dlink
> won't help. It always connects to the Internet, does a DHCP
> request, gets an IP address and then it then tries to bind to
> the MAC address that was used to configure the device. I am
> still looking to see if it can be hacked to support fixed
> IP.....  Do you know of any ADSL ethernet bridge devices that
> support fixed IP addressing out of the box?
>
> Many thanks for you help

> Chris,
>
> Thank you for your reply. I will probably go with IPCop at
> the moment as I need a quick solution. I guess I will build a
> firewall based on IPChains and a distro such as debian later
> when I have time to figure it out and read the o'reilly books
> I have on the subject.
>
> I actually have an ethernet DSL bridge (DLink DSL300G+) but
> unfortunately it only supports dynamic addressing and dlink
> won't help. It always connects to the Internet, does a DHCP
> request, gets an IP address and then it then tries to bind to
> the MAC address that was used to configure the device. I am
> still looking to see if it can be hacked to support fixed
> IP.....  Do you know of any ADSL ethernet bridge devices that
> support fixed IP addressing out of the box?

I managed to get debian stable down to 140 Mb without any hassle. I'm sure
it will go much much smaller.

I am surprised that a D-Link bridge won't support static addresses. After
all, the primary function of the bridge is to hand over the DHCP/Static part
to the actual firewall thing.

Have you seen [1]?

At work we have a dlink 501 (old kit), that does just the functionality you
need. The 504 also has the same functionality (also old kit).

Zoom also offer an ADSL modem/bridge. I don't know of its suitability,
although it looks OK [2].

Chris

[1] http://www.groupsrv.com/linux/viewtopic.php?t=1309
[2] http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html