[sclug] Linux Firewalls and ADSL

Roland Turner raz.fpyht.bet.hx at raz.cx
Wed Jun 9 09:21:44 UTC 2004

Mark wrote:

> I don't know what your price budget is (looks slightly more expensive
> than the average DSL)but this runs with 1:1 contention ratio as opposed
> to the 50:1 ratio you typically get with DSL.

(scepticism)

Do you actually believe that:

(a) Southern Electric is plugged directly into a/some first tier global backbone provider(s) (Level 3, UUNet, one or two others) rather than, say, BT

and

(b) the sum of their port speeds with that/those provider(s) is equal to or greater than the sum (i.e. 1:1 contention ratio) of the port speeds offered to all of their customers? (e.g. A mere 10,000 customers with 500Kb/s connections would require cross-connects totalling a gob-smacking 5Gb/s.)

- Raz