[sclug] Linux Firewalls and ADSL

Smiles, Mark Mark msmiles at agere.com
Wed Jun 9 16:18:34 UTC 2004

Seems BT is looking at Fibre as well
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/06/09/bt_fibre_trial/

Regards,
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: sclug-bounces at sclug.org.uk [mailto:sclug-bounces at sclug.org.uk] On
Behalf Of Damion Yates
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 4:54 PM
To: Roland Turner
Cc: sclug at sclug.org.uk
Subject: RE: [sclug] Linux Firewalls and ADSL

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Roland Turner wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
> > I don't know what your price budget is (looks slightly more
> > expensive than the average DSL)but this runs with 1:1 contention
> > ratio as opposed to the 50:1 ratio you typically get with DSL.
>
> (scepticism)
>
> Do you actually believe that:
>
> (a) Southern Electric is plugged directly into a/some first tier
> global backbone provider(s) (Level 3, UUNet, one or two others)
> rather than, say, BT
>
> and
>
> (b) the sum of their port speeds with that/those provider(s) is
> equal to or greater than the sum (i.e. 1:1 contention ratio) of the
> port speeds offered to all of their customers? (e.g. A mere 10,000
> customers with 500Kb/s connections would require cross-connects
> totalling a gob-smacking 5Gb/s.)

But that's nothing! we're adding to 10GE ports all over our network,
apparently some new broadband streaming will need it.  I assume all
the UK ISPs are ready for our output ;)

We tend to peak 2Gb/s sustained for a few hours throughout the day at
the moment.  :)

Damion

--
Damion Yates - Maiden House, Vanwall Business estate, Maidenhead
email: Damion.Yates at bbc.co.uk - phone: +44 (0) 1628 407759 (ex: 0137759)