[sclug] Gentoo

Tony Sumner whittycat at ntlworld.com
Mon May 10 19:22:11 UTC 2004

I saw all this correspondence about Gentoo so I thought I'd have a go.
I set out to do a networkless install (intending to get linux-wlan-ng
working as part of the installation process) and followed the Gentoo
handbook as far as the point where I have to compile the kernel. It says

  If you are performing a network-less install you can't pick any of the
  available kernels as we only provide sources for a few of them. If
  this is the case, you are restricted to using gentoo-sources,
  vanilla-sources, development-sources or gentoo-dev-sources.

  Choose your kernel source and install it using emerge.

So I type 'emerge gentoo-sources' and get a lot of error messages because
it is trying to download the source files into /usr/portage/dist-files.
I have all the source files in /usr/portage/distfiles already but I can't
do 'make menuconfig' because there is no Makefile there.  I wouldn't go so
far as to say that the documentation is crap but could someone please tell
me what I do now?

Tony Sumner