[sclug] Gentoo

Tony Sumner whittycat at ntlworld.com
Tue May 11 11:13:58 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 10:25:01PM +0100, Keith Edmunds wrote:

> Actually, I think the documentation for Gentoo is, on the whole,
> stunningly good.

Yes, I agree, on the whole; I was a bit annoyed I admit.

> If you've emerged gentoo-sources successfully

Well no, I didn't. As I said, I am doing a networkless install so the
distfiles all came off the CD as part of stage 3. emerge will do nothing
for me until I have an internet connection. I was hoping that gentoo
would know about wireless and indeed it does cos I see the linux-wlan-ng
source is there in distfiles.

I think I see the solution. The documentation has left a step
out. Buried in /usr/portage/distfiles is linux-2.4.24.tar.bz2, which
is the kernel source. If I unpack that it may populate /usr/src and I
can proceed.  [pause] Yes, that's right. I just did that and the first
file in the list is linux-2.4.24/Makefile. I have compiled a kernel
before so I should be ok from now on.

Tony