[sclug] [OT] avoiding Rich Text replies in MS Outlook

Damion Yates damiony at rd.bbc.co.uk
Thu May 13 15:46:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Simon Heywood wrote:

> Users of Microsoft Outlook (like me when I'm at work) will probably
> be aware of its penchant for Rich Text. In particular, when replying
> to a message sent to you in Rich Text format, you are forced to
> compose your message in Rich Text format, with no option to use
> plain text. This has implications for interoperability, for instance
> if you want to Cc the reply to someone outside the local MS Exchange
> zone, as well as general annoyance.
>
> I mentioned this to Damion last night and he said there was a
> registry hack which solved this problem. Any chance of posting it
> here? It's probably worth pointing out that the version in question
> is Outlook 98.

I asked the people I knew in the BBC that had mentioned this before
and they said just google for it.  A google for ReadAsPlain has a top
link of http://www.outlooktips.net/howto/plain_text.htm which is what
I think they are using.  They are using a much more recent OL than 98,
most of them also use outlookquotefix
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/outlook-quotefix/

Damion

--
Damion Yates - Maiden House, Vanwall Business estate, Maidenhead
email: Damion.Yates at bbc.co.uk - phone: +44 (0) 1628 407759 (ex: 0137759)