[sclug] Wireless Broadband in Slough and Windsor areas

Simon Heywood simon at triv.org.uk
Fri May 21 09:09:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 09:24:13AM +0100, John Mullins wrote:
> A new wireless broadband service is starting in the Slough/Windsor area
> provided by www.netvigator.co.uk/
> Has anybody any experience of this system on Linux? This is my
> correspondence with netvigator. It seems like it needs special software
> to make it work.

I bumped into their sales lot in the Oracle shopping centre in Reading a
few days ago, and the bloke there seemed to know what he was talking
about. It sounds like a good business plan, although their e-mail
support people could do with some training to not fob people off with
'we don't support Linux', like BT Internet used to do when they'd
disabled my dial-up account without telling me. Here's what I got out of
them after a couple of attempts.

netvigator Customer Services <support at netvigator.co.uk> wrote:
> Dear Simon Heywood,
>
> Thank you for your e-mail. To work under any OS, in theory all that is
> required is an ethernet connection and PPPoE client. Therefore you
> should be able to use Linux. However, today we do not support this
> configuration and you will not have access to tools showing signal
> strength.
>
> Thank tou for your attention.
>
> regards,
> support at netvigator.co.uk

So it'll almost certainly work; you'd just need to read up on PPPoE.

S.