[sclug] Ubuntu passwords

Neil Haughton n.a.haughton at bigfoot.com
Mon Aug 8 17:38:07 UTC 2005

> But [k]ubunto doesn't _have_ a root password [wail!]
>

> (What I actually want to do is change which users on this system are
> allowed to shutdown the system - can anyone upclue me on how to do that?)

 From my experiences with Ubuntu 5 (which I currently play with on my
dual-boot machine), I think your user password is your root password by
default.  Think Windows. :-)

For what you want to do (which sounds like a multi-user set up), do you
really think this is the right distro to use? I get the impression that
is intended to be used as a single-user personal OS,  which is why root
has the same password as the first user. If that's the case and I have
not completely misunderstood, Debian 3.1 might be a better choice,
especially as Ubuntu is built on that so you'll get the more trad Unix
approach to multiple users and security, with basically the same distro
as underneath Ubuntu.

HTH

Neil.