[sclug] [OT] Linux support for large HDD

James Wyper jrwyper at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 21:19:22 UTC 2005

I have a similar class of machine (IBM 330GL ; 350Mhz PII).

hda is the original 3.2GB disk, hdb is an 80GB one that I added myself.

The large-disk HOWTO said that the 80GB drive would "just work".
Wrong.

Originally I needed to use a boot floppy with Ontrack (or Discwizard
Starter edition as it was then called) before the system would
recognise more than the first 32GB of hdb.  However, more or less in
desperation, I recompiled my (then 2.4.19) kernel with
CONFIG_IDE_STROKE = Y.  This removed the dependency on Ontrack and I
could boot from the hd.

The large-disk HOWTO has since been updated by the maintainer to
reflect  my (perhaps peculiar) circumstances.

I've now upgraded to the 2.6 kernel which is much easier - you merely
need to add append="hdb=stroke" to the relevant stanza in lilo.conf
(assuming you use lilo)

Hope this helps,
James.