[sclug] Irritating Solaris question

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Wed Aug 10 22:54:30 UTC 2005

Yeah, yeah, I know it's not a Linux question, but there are people here who
may know the answer.

I'm trying to build this ancient program (the ACK, which you have heard me go
on about before). It builds fine on my i386 Linux system. Now I'm trying to
build it on SF's compile farm, and I'm tackling Sparc Solaris first.

The build process is failing, because it's trying to run lint, and SF haven't
bought the lint package. However, much to my confusion, the make target in
question --- lintlib --- isn't referenced anywhere *in the entire source
package*. So I don't know why it's being called. I can prevent it from doing
this by preventing the LINT make variable from being defined, and I don't
know why that works, either.

Does Solaris make have a feature where it automatically tries to lint your
files if it thinks your makefiles support it, by any chance?

--
"Curses! Foiled by the chilled dairy treats of righteousness!" --- Earthworm
Jim (evil)